- Bratton, Michael and Peter Penar (2018). “Dropping the Democracy Ball in Southern Africa: South Africa, SADC and Zimbabwe.” Taiwan Journal of Democracy 14(1): 41-65.
- Bratton, Michael and Peter Penar (2018). Forthcoming. “Power Sharing as a Strategy to Resolve Political Crises.” The Oxford Encyclopaedia of African Politics (Oxford University Press).
- Penar, Peter (2016). Will of the People? Election Results and Public Opinion in Gabon. Afrobarometer Dispatch No. 119. (PDF) (French Version)
- Penar, Peter, Rose Aiko, Thomas Bentley, and Kangwook Han (2016). Election Quality, Public Trust are Central Issues for Africa’s Upcoming Contests. Afrobarometer Policy Paper No. 35. (PDF) (French Version)
- Oyuke, Abel, Peter Halley Penar, and Brian Howard (2016). Off-grid or 'Off-on': Lack of Access, Unreliable Electricity Supply Still Plague Majority of Africans. Afrobarometer Dispatch No. 75. My interview with Ozayr Patel of The Conversation Africa: https://goo.gl/P3G9yt.
- Peter Halley Penar (2015). Elections Burkina Faso: Citizens Trust Electoral Institutions, Incumbent Leaders. Afrobarometer Dispatch No. 61. (PDF) (French Version)
- Peter Halley Penar and Ségorbah Silwe (2015). Elections Côte d'Ivoire: Citizens Mistrust Electoral Commission, Fear Political Violence. Afrobarometer Dispatch No. 51. (PDF) (French Version)
- Bentley, Thomas, Kangwook Han, and Peter Halley Penar (2015). Guineans Confident in their Freedom to Vote, but not in the Fairness of the Count. Afrobarometer Dispatch No. 49. (PDF) (French Version)
- Bentley, Thomas, Kangwook Han, and Peter Halley Penar (2015). African Democracy Update: Democratic Satisfaction Remains Elusive for Many. Afrobarometer Dispatch No. 45. Article republished on The Conversation Africa: http://goo.gl/H258iB and several newspapers in South Africa (M&G) and Zimbabwe.
- Bratton, Michael and Peter Penar (2014). Mali’s Public Mood Reflects Newfound Hope. Afrobarometer Policy Paper No. 9. (PDF) (French Version)
- Penar, Peter and Abel Gbala (2019). What the Return of Gbagbo Could Mean for Ivory Coast’s 2020 Election. The Conversation Africa.
- Penar, Peter (2017). How The Gambia is Testing West Africa’s Resolve to Protect Democracy. The Conversation Africa. Republished by Mail & Guardian Africa, The Wire, and other Africa-based news outlets. Article served as a basis for interviews with the BBC World Service and Deutsche Welle.
- Penar, Peter and Abel Gbala (2016). Controversial Constitutional Referendum Sparks Distrust in Côte d'Ivoire. The Conversation Africa. Republished by African Arguments, Newsweek, and Quartz Africa.
- Penar, Peter (2016). Gabon Violence Reflects Longstanding and Deep Mistrust of Election Handling. The Conversation Africa.
African Studies Association (2018)
- “My Brother's Keeper? The Effects of African Regional Organizations on Election Quality” (2018)
American Political Science Association (2018)
- “Zimbabwe’s 2018 Elections: A ‘Not-So-Removed’ Post-Mortem” (2018)
International Studies Association (2016, 2017, 2018)
- "Winning at the Regional Level: African Regional Organizations’ Cartel Behavior and How Opposition Parties Attempt to Break It" (2018)
- "Pro-interventionists v. Pro-sovereigntists in Africa: Explaining Attitudes towards the Duty to Intervene Regionally" (2017) also MPSA (2016)
- "The Regionalization of Election Support in Africa: Explaining Differing Responses and Elite Perceptions of Responses by African Regional Organizations" (2016)
Michigan State University (2016, 2017, 2018)
- African Graduate Student Association Conference, "Leaders of Africa Project: Studying Leadership Rigorously" (2018)
- MSU African Studies Center’s Special Panel, "Perspectives on Kenyan Elections" (2017)
- MSU African Studies Center’s Eye on Africa Series, "Closing Africa’s Eye to Election Malpractice? Prospects for Free and Fair Elections and the Role of African Regional Intervention" (2016)
- African Graduate Student Association Conference, "Becoming My Brother’s Keeper? Examining the Effects of African Regional Organizations on Election Quality" (2016)
Midwest Political Science Association (2016, 2017)
- "Is China’s Love Affair with Africa Mutual: Determinants of Africans’ Perceptions Toward China-Africa Relations" (2017) with Master’s student Eva Tetteh
- "The Double-Edged Sword of Election-Related Intervention: Explaining Why ECOWAS and the African Union Played a Decisive Role in Côte d’Ivoire and the Consequences" (2017)
Invited talks (2016)
- Workshop on Electricity in Africa at École Polytechnique, "Turning on the Lights for All: How Unequal Access to Electricity Persists Alongside Relative Deprivation in Africa," Paris, France (December 15, 2016)